CADWELD PLUS connections offer all the benefits of conventional CADWELD connections:
- Current carrying capacity equal to or greater than that of the conductor
- Withstand repeated fault currents without failing during operation
- Permanent, molecular bond that will not loosen or corrode, resulting in a connection with a lifetime equal to that of the installation
- Join copper to copper, copper to galvanized or plain steel, copper to copper clad steel, copper to bronze/ brass/stainless steel, steel to steel, etc.
- No external power or heat source required.
- Quality Assurance Inspection is easy and visual
- Minimal installation training required
- Exceed requirements of “IEEE® Std 837- Std. for Qualifying Permanent Connections Used In Substation Grounding”
IEEE 837 2014 Standard.
The CADWELD molecular bond will last the lifetime of the conductors.
The ultimate welded connection that will never loosen, corrode or increase in resistance.
ERICO is dedicated to continuous product improvement to meet its customers’ needs and maintain the highest level of satisfaction. The introduction of CADWELD electrical connections in 1938 enabled them to be quickly recognized as the ultimate connection for rail, cathodic, power and grounding applications.
Continuing the tradition of technical leadership, CADWELD PLUS was developed as a simplified method of performing exothermically welded electrical connections. This trusted system now features a new CADWELD PLUS cup design for the integrated welding material package which has streamlined the installation process by eliminating ignition materials.
The tamper proof, integrated welding material package consists of a steel cup containing CADWELD patented welding material alloys and an ignition source. This newly shaped welding material package is designed for use in all standard CADWELD molds, including CADWELD MULTI. Once placed in the CADWELD mold, the welding material is electronically ignited using a simple battery-powered control unit with a six-foot lead.
The CADWELD PLUS system:
- Consists of a tamper proof, disposable, moisture- resistant welding material cup. The welding material, disk and ignition source are incorporated into the self-contained package
- Long shelf life
- Completes welds at distances of up to 6 ft/1.8 meters (up to 15 ft/4.6 meters with optional lead)
- Requires minimum components – no starting material, no disks, no flint igniters
- Easy to handle, store and transport – by air, land or sea in unlimited quantities
- Reduces installation time by 20%
- Has color-coded welding material containers – by size and alloy type – for easy identification
- Has electronic ignition with a CE/UL battery powered controller box that is designed for 600 connections with one set of 8 standard AA batteries (included) – requiring no special batteries or chargers
- Designed for use in standard CADWELD molds including CADWELD MULTI
Installation Is Easy!
4 Simple Steps for Permanently Welded Electrical Connections
Insert CADWELD PLUS cup into mold (may require use of a cover/baffle)
Attach control unit termination clip to ignition strip
Press and hold control unit switch and wait for the ignition
Open the mold and remove the expended steel cup – no special disposal required
CADWELD PLUS Control Unit initiates the reaction of the metal crucible. The standard unit includes a 6-foot (1.8 meter) high temperature control unit lead. The lead attaches to the ignition strip using a custom made, purpose-designed termination clip.
After the termination clip is installed on the ignition strip, the installer pushes and holds the ignition button to start a charging and discharging sequence. Within a few seconds the control unit sends a predetermined voltage to the ignition strip and the reaction is initiated.